Using RMAN files to clone

From: JW <jw_at_abc.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 03:58:00 GMT

Hi there,

I would like to find out the difference between these two method to clone a database for testing. I am using Oracle 9iR2 under window 2000 server platform.

  1. Use 'DUPLICATE DATABASE' command to duplicate a Target database to the Aux database in remote server.
  2. Use the RMAN backup files from Target database to clone the database in another server.

I believe the directory structure of the Aux server for both situations has to be the same as the target server, at least for the the RMAN backup location. I think The data files could be relocated using 'configure auxname'.

For my testing, there are 20 to 30 data files spreaded across 3 to 4 drives, I wonder if we can remap the drive designation instead, say D, E, F to C drive.

I don't have access to metalink and I having been searching the web for steps in doing item 2, but could not find a good description of it. Could someone give me a little more detail ?

Thanks in advance.

JW Received on Mon Oct 02 2006 - 22:58:00 CDT