Re: Using RMAN files to clone

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:00:40 +0200

JW wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to find out the difference between these two method to
> clone a database for testing. I am using Oracle 9iR2 under window
> 2000 server platform.
>
> 1. Use 'DUPLICATE DATABASE' command to duplicate a Target database to
> the Aux database in remote server.
>
> 2. Use the RMAN backup files from Target database to clone the
> database in another server.
>
> I believe the directory structure of the Aux server for both
> situations has to be the same as the target server, at least for the
> the RMAN backup location. I think The data files could be relocated
> using 'configure auxname'.
>
> For my testing, there are 20 to 30 data files spreaded across 3 to 4
> drives, I wonder if we can remap the drive designation instead, say D,
> E, F to C drive.
>
> I don't have access to metalink and I having been searching the web
> for steps in doing item 2, but could not find a good description of
> it. Could someone give me a little more detail ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> JW

Hi,

You're right. You can use "configure auxname" to rename the datafiles. I guess it wouldn't be a problem if you have to use this command to remap drives.
But if you use the duplicate method, you have a better solution: the auxiliary instance parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT that allow you to define global mapping patterns for *all* files. That's one of the many reasons why a duplication is better than a restore operation if you want to clone a database.

Jerome Received on Tue Oct 03 2006 - 03:00:40 CDT