Re: OO4O: ORA-12154 Error - TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:22:37 GMT

CJM wrote:
> "Brian Peasland" <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote in message

>> I'm not an expert with ASP, but is IFSP2 the TNS entry you are using to
>> denote the database to connect to? If so, then verify that it is defined
>> correctly in your TNSNAMES.ORA configuration file. Also, verify that you
>> can TNSPING that entry, "tnsping ifsp2". If not, then you have either 1)
>> configured your tnsnames incorrectly, 2) have an incorrect sqlnet.ora
>> configuration file, or 3) your software cannot see these files.
>>

> Yes, IFSP2 is the DB alias. It is defined correctly - AFAIK, the test server
> was set up the same way as the development server, and shares the same
> TNSNAMES.ORA file (and other config).
>
> I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases resolve to
> the right locations.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think I have made some progress... I'll post back
> if/when I can confirm it.
>
> Thanks for your response, Brian.
>
> Chris

If you can TNSPING, then this confirms the following: 1) you have defined the TNS alias. 2) Oracle software can find this TNS alias. 3) You can find the Oracle listener on the server defined by the TNS alias. 4) That listener is up an running.

TNSPING does not actually confirm that the database is up and running. But that isn't your problem.

In another post, you stated "the same page also connects via ADO". So this tells me that the Oracle client software is configured correctly. If you are having difficulties from another platform, then it appears like it is time to look at that platform as this is not an Oracle problem.

I'm not familiar with running ASP apps. But I do know that we've had to compile PHP with the Oracle client software before PHP apps can find the Oracle client software. Is there some ASP configuration that needs to be done?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net