Re: OO4O: ORA-12154 Error - TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:03:53 +0100

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote in message news:J699AC.D82_at_igsrsparc2.er.usgs.gov...

> In another post, you stated "the same page also connects via ADO". So this
> tells me that the Oracle client software is configured correctly. If you
> are having difficulties from another platform, then it appears like it is
> time to look at that platform as this is not an Oracle problem.

I started out with OO4O which I guessed would be the best middleware for accessing an oracle DB; well this had been suggested to me, at least. I got some basic things working as I liked, but then found that the transactional controls (ie rollbacks) in OO4O just didnt work - and I've yet to get them working. So I tried my hand with ADO which I am much more familiar with. ADO seemed to work well, but the way in which you construct commands and return results is different, so it was yet another thing to learn in a rush. So currently my application has all the important stuff done via ADO and some basic stuff done via OO4O.

I've proved that ADO can communicate with Oracle. I was struggling with OO4O (on this server), but I think I may have proved that another element of OO4O code is working, in which case the problem is specific to section of code where I first noticed the problem, rather than being an OO4O problem in general.

> I'm not familiar with running ASP apps. But I do know that we've had to
> compile PHP with the Oracle client software before PHP apps can find the
> Oracle client software. Is there some ASP configuration that needs to be
> done?

No, the problem isn't with ASP, that's for sure. It's either with OO4O or it's problem with me!

I'm just working on confirming that the other OO4O code is working. The server has been rebooted - I have a horrible feeling that this may be connected.

CJM Received on Wed Sep 27 2006 - 10:03:53 CDT