Re: Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 22:45:01 -0500

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, jeremy0505_at_gmail.com wrote:
> In article <uejua5rr0.fsf_at_rcn.com>, Galen Boyer says...
>

>> Why do you need to worry about redo?
>>

> Perhaps I don't - see other responses.

I would look at materialized views myself, because, that is really what you are describing (ie, I want to have a query not have to execute everytime, but instead, have it stored so I can get the results quicker) An MV helps solve that in a most impressive fashion.

But, If you really needed to use a global temp to get away from the redo, then you could do something like the following pseudo-code:

     IF (p_clientpackage.count_global(client_id) < 1)
     BEGIN
         p_clientpackage.insert_global;
     END

     p_clientpackage.get_from_global;

This would mean you execute the operation for each client, at most, the number of connections you have in the pool. It would also need some boundary questions asked, like, what if the query could return 0 rows...

Of course, your global temp would need to be "ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS".

--
Galen Boyer