Re: Oracle 10g on Microsoft's Virtual Server

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:37:06 GMT

Doug Jones wrote:
> I am looking for information pertaining to an Oracle install on Virtual
> Server. Most of what I find is referring to VMware. Currently we have
> 10g running on virtual server and I just have a few questions. Is this
> a good place to ask? Can someone point me to some info on performance,
> maintenance, etc?
>

> Thank you very much,
>
> Doug Jones

I have installed both Oracle 9i and 10g on Windows 2003's Virtual Server. It works quite nicely for testing. You do not need any additional documentation, because for all intents and purposes, you are just installing Oracle on Windows. It does not make a difference that it is a VM.

You will need sufficient resources for the VM. But this is no different than installing Oracle on a server. Your VM needs sufficient memory and disk and CPU. Not having sufficient resources can lead to poor performance.

Additionally, I would never recommend a VM for Oracle in production. I have only used this for a test platform and I would recommend the same. I wouldn't even use this for development, only for test.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net