Re: Clarifications on few patch terms

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2006 02:35:29 -0700

ramakrishnan.ay_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I want to know exactly what does backport patchset, one-off patchsets
> means??
> I would appreciate if you can let me know about these ASAP.
>
> Thanks,
> Rama.

As this is a volunteer forum, there is no such thing here as ASAP.

What is a backport.
Suppose a problem is detected in 9.2.0.8. However 10gR2 is the current release and development for 9i has stopped. Oracle will resolve the problem in 10gR2, and customers affected by this problem in 9i will need to request a *backport*.
Once a release is not in ordinary support anymore, Oracle will stop providing backports for that release.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA