Re: Tablespace storage directory

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:12:06 GMT

mixint wrote:
> Hi,
> I created a database on Oracle 10.2.0 with Configuration Assistant and
> pointed to my directory to store there db files. (In the section
> "Specify locations for the Database files to be created" I chose "Use
> Common Location for All Database Files").
> Assistant created there some basic dbf (tablespace) files. However,
> when I create a new tablespace from external client the corresponding
> dbf file is stored in an ORACLE_HOME subdirectory, not in the directory
> I entered earlier.
> So my question is how to make Oracle create tablespace files in my
> directory?
>
> greetings, Pawel

When you create a tablespace, you can specify the datfile name and location similar to the following:

CREATE TABLESPACE ts_name
DATAFILE '/directory/filename';

If you want Oracle to automatically place the file in a specific directory, then set your DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST parameter to the directory and when you create the tablespace, do not use the DATAFILE clause.

This is all documented in the Oracle Concepts guide, which I highly recommend you read. Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and click on the link for your version. Then click the link for Concepts. Read the chapters on Tablespaces and Datafiles.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net