Re: processes get full on Oracle XE... how to change?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:13:03 +0200

Casper schreef:
> Hi,
>

>> Are you sure your db is using either of those init.ora files?  Look for
>> 'init<sid>.ora' , where '<sid>' is the name of your instance ... like
>> initorcl.ora

> yes, there is a initxe.ora, it contains this line:
>
> SPFILE='C:\Sviluppo\Oracle\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\dbs/spfileXE.ora'
>
> So I guess that this spfileXE.ora is the config file I'm supposed to modify,
> isnt it ?
> Anyway, I just opened this file, it looks like a binary... with some text
> lines in it

It is... binary

> but it didnt' work!
> Where could I be wrong ?

Oh - so many places... let's not go there :) You edited a binary file.

>> Also, you do realize, of course, that changes to the init file are not
>> dynamic.  You have to bounce the instance to pick up the changes.

> What do you mean by "bounce the instance" ?
> After I made the changes, I stopped the oracle services and restarted them.
> Is that correct?

Yes - in Oracle lingo, that's a bounce. Stop and start again.

the way to get around the binary file is to use Oracle for that:
alter system set processes=150 scope=spfile;

You knew that, of course, because it's somewhere in those zillion pages of documentation on http://tahiti.oracle.com

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel