Re: Oracle Backup to new SID

From: <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 30 Aug 2006 13:41:41 -0700

Anthony wrote:
> Do you do a cold or a hot backup on a regular basis?
> If so, that would be easy, refresh the reporting database using the
> backup and apply the archive logs generated after the backup is done.
> This should give you the most current database.

Hi Anthony, Thx for the suggestion.

Hot Backups are done nightly, but the problem traditionally was that the EOM reporting database and the production database were located on the same physical server (SID = PROD1 vs SID = EOM1).

When using the ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP, it would allow us to create copies of the data files while users are on but not allow us to load it into a new SID. Likewise, the control files for the Cold Backup were storing the original SID and data file locations so we could not shut down, do the backup from PROD1, then try and restore that backup into EOM1. How have you approached this? Did you rebuild the reporting database using ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE? I heard somewhere you can do that but have not tried it yet.

Steve Received on Wed Aug 30 2006 - 15:41:41 CDT