Re: Oracle Backup to new SID

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2006 14:42:51 -0700

steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca wrote:

> How have you approached this? Did you rebuild the reporting database
> using ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE? I heard somewhere you
> can do that but have not tried it yet.

I used to do that, but eventually it was just ridiculous compared to RMAN. I won't even give out my old scripts anymore, if I even have them. A good learning experience is about the only positive thing I can say, but you are better off practicing various restoration scenarios than trying to script this for production, these days.

Read the Backup and Recovery Concepts manual at tahiti.oracle.com, it is pretty good.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.