Re: Is Database Up?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2006 13:47:34 -0700

Adrian Simpson wrote:
> Without the OP explaining why he wants to do this, is OEM always a valid
> solution ? If the requirement is for a script (called perhaps from
> cron) to check to see if the database is up before trying an operation
> against it, would this not be a valid reason for not using OEM ?

I agree. Nowhere did the OP state what kind of environment this was. Maybe this is the only Oracle database they have, and it is not mission critical. If that is the case, an entire OEM management infrastructure would be overkill. If it is larger, then OEM/Grid would be a valid option.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail...

Regards,

Steve Received on Mon Aug 28 2006 - 15:47:34 CDT