Re: Is Database Up?

From: Adrian Simpson <bulleid_at_ffoil.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:26:18 +0100

In message <spd6f2dt8rdv92otok0lti4cp9oriap2kf_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes
>On 28 Aug 2006 10:48:59 -0700, "amerar_at_iwc.net" <amerar_at_iwc.net>
>wrote:

>>> No need to grep:
>>>
>>> printf "%s\n%s\n" "whenever sqlerror exit failure" "select null from
>>> dual;"|sqlplus -L user/pass_at_service_name >/dev/null 2>&1||echo "Database NOT
>>> accessible\!"
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Dimitre
>>
>>Very slick.....I like that..........
>
>Please read the posts of Brian Peasland and Ed Stevens and stop
>building your own OEM.

Without the OP explaining why he wants to do this, is OEM always a valid solution ? If the requirement is for a script (called perhaps from cron) to check to see if the database is up before trying an operation against it, would this not be a valid reason for not using OEM ?

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops