Re: InstantClient for x64

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:01:15 +0100

"Laurenz Albe" <invite_at_spam.to.invalid> wrote in message news:1156402783.538900_at_proxy.dienste.wien.at...
> EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>> CJM wrote:
>>> Sorry, I forgot to mention - yes, I have prepended the PATH environment
>>> variable with the path of the 64-bit files.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, the sqlplus comes with the full client and the DB. It is
>>> certainly
>>> not included with the instantclient.
>
> I don't even try to make sense of that statement :^)

Sqlplus.exe does not reside on either of my development machines. It may or may not reside on the server; I don't know.

I am using SQL Developer to access the DB. I can connect to the server, but it is using a 32-bit DSN.

>> I have found that, with some client installs (I can't say about this
>> one) that the ODBC drivers are not installed by default. You have to
>> do a custom install and specifically select the windows components.
>> This can be done after the initial default install.
>
> To expand on this, you will find a file ODBC_IC_Readme_Linux.html in
> the Instant Client distribution that should help you.

Obviously the file I am interested in is 'ODBC_IC_Readme_Win.html'

I've followed the these instructions twice for the 32-bit drivers, and it worked both times. I followed the same procedure for the 64-bit version and it didn't work - the drivers do not appear under the 64-bit ODBC administrator. Note: In order to do this, I had to overwrite the TNS_ADMIN environment variable with the location of the 64-bit files (whereas previously it pointed to the 32-bit files).

CJM Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 06:01:15 CDT