Re: Creating an Oracle Database for the first Time

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 04:33:50 GMT

wiinc1 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have recently received the Oracle 8i software and have always created
> databases via MS Access. I have grown tried of there lack of
> performance when it comes to querying large volumes of data so I want
> to take a stab at teaching myself Oracle as I taught myself Access. At
> first glance, it appears considerably more difficult as I don't even
> know where to begin.
>
> I have read some posts here and gather that I need to use SQL Plus
> which was provided in the software in order to begin. When I open this
> program, it asks for a username, password, and Host String. Any help
> here on what to do?
>
> Is there not a way to build an Oracle database on my hard drive? Do
> you know of any sites which may have examples of an Oracle database I
> could download and begin to look at as MS Access has (ie Northwinds).
>
> Thanks for any and all feedback.

If you really want to learn Oracle, start with Oracle 10g. Go to Technet (http://otn.oracle.com) and download Oracle 10g for your platform. You will have to register for an account, but it is free. Next is to read some of the Oracle documentation. There is a section of the Oracle docs called "Getting Started". You can find that here:

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=1

Once there, take a look at the Concepts guide, the Administrator's Guide, and the Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals. This should give you a nice overview. That same section will give you Installation Guides for your specific platform, complete with step-by-step instructions on how to install Oracle for your platform. One of the last steps in installing Oracle is to create your first database. You can use the wizard which creates the database for you. This wizard has a section which lets you install "sample schemas". These are similar to Northwinds for MS Access or MS SQL Server.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net