Creating an Oracle Database for the first Time

From: wiinc1 <brianwuollet_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 18:16:02 -0700

Hi All,

I have recently received the Oracle 8i software and have always created databases via MS Access. I have grown tried of there lack of performance when it comes to querying large volumes of data so I want to take a stab at teaching myself Oracle as I taught myself Access. At first glance, it appears considerably more difficult as I don't even know where to begin.

I have read some posts here and gather that I need to use SQL Plus which was provided in the software in order to begin. When I open this program, it asks for a username, password, and Host String. Any help here on what to do?

Is there not a way to build an Oracle database on my hard drive? Do you know of any sites which may have examples of an Oracle database I could download and begin to look at as MS Access has (ie Northwinds).

Thanks for any and all feedback. Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 20:16:02 CDT