Re: Serialization issue on Oracle 10g

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:28:50 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:28:58 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

> "hxie" <qixie1_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> After adding "purge" option, I don't get the serialization error
>> anymore. I think adding purge option is equivalent to the drop
>> statement in previous Oracle versions without recycle bin.

Yes, that is so. Well documented in the "What's new in this release" section of the "New Features" manual <g>

>> No, I am not dropping tables regularly. This is kind of part of a setup
>> script I ran several several times in my test. I was curious about the
>> "side effect" of recycle bin feature.\

Good to confirm. The DLL commands drop/alter/create are very resource intensive, create all sorts of locking issues, and automatically do a commit. Their use inside transactions and loops are popular with the MySQL & SQL Server causing no end of grief for those folk when the come to Oracle.

> Why do we even need a recycle bin after decades of not having one? They are
> for sissies like Microsofties.

Of course we do - the collective intelligence has so decreed! This intelligence has found it NECESSARY to compensate for the act of dropping or deleting or doing things without thinking ... (ummm, ain't that collective intelligence thingy sorta like democracy??)

He who shows the most money, laughs last? (It may be an insane laughter, but it always seems to be the last one.)

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!