Re: column user_name format a10

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:51:20 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:39:55 -0700, muddu wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am new to oracle and want know more about the formats mentioned
> below.
> column user_name format a10
> column audit_option format a40
>
> what does a10 and a40 represnts .
> Do we have more different formats like that and where we will use them
> often.
>
> please do help me.

Just for clarification, the 'column' command and it's options (such as format) are NOT SQL. They are part of SQL*Plus and are defined in the SQL*Plus manual at http://tahiti.oracle.com for your version of the database.

If you tell us the version, we can provide the link to the doc. Thenm you will get to see all the amazing things like formatting, like wrapping and heading, computing on data changes, and a whole pile of additional elementary reporting capabilities.

Oh, and 'a10' simply means 'display the data in a column 10 char wide'.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!