Re: How to find out concrete ORACLE_HOME via SQL?

From: NitelyJoy <nitelyjoy_at_ist-einmalig.de>
Date: 14 Aug 2006 12:12:51 -0700

> You can't retrieve Oracle_home. Nor should you need it.
> If you did install the sw you know it, and if you didn't install the
> sw but can't ask the DBA, your purposes are apparently not legitimate.

Imagine, you have direct server access and you are the new DBA und you never saw the former DBA, which was fired by your boss. You see 3 apparently fitting ORACLE_HOMEs. Which one was used to start up the instance? - You just have the trial and error method...

> >Our problem is to calculate the location of the password files
> >"?/dbs/orapw<SID>.ora" (unix) and "?/database/orapw<SID>.ora" (windows)
> >respectively. We didn't find these values in v$parameter or similar
> >either.
>
> Why do you think you need that? For hacking purposes?

Hey, come on. I'm from the good side. - If security depends on how good to disguise the password file directory ("security by obscurity"), oracle and all its DBAs were in big trouble... Received on Mon Aug 14 2006 - 14:12:51 CDT