Re: Oracle on Windows

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:25:17 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:
> Preston wrote:
>

>> If you're using DBCA to uninstall Oracle then I'm not surprised ;-)

> I don't but I believe the OP did.

But you did say

"Not from my experience. There are more than a handful of times I've used DBCA to uninstall Oracle on Windows ... and then had to manually clean up the remaining mess."

Was this just wrong, hyperbole or what?

>> Seriously though it does a good job of removing the instance service, &
>> if it didn't, the blame lies squarely at the door of Oracle, not
>> Microsoft.

> It doesn't and the blame lies squarely at the feet of both companies.

what utter rubbish. If a software vendor cannot write software that cleanly reconfigures itself then the fault lies solely with the vendor.

> The registry is as dumb as a bag of hammers. Do you see equivalent
> nonsense in Linux? Solaris? AIX? OSX? HP/UX? VMS? MVS? OS290?

In what way is it dumb as a bag of hammers? as a repository that is designed to be machine read/writable only - hmmm I believe that applies to at least linux, or as a key configuration database that is susceptible to buggering about with - must try to see what happens to judicious editing of /etc/init.* sometime.

  But don't
> worry. Give Microsoft another ten years and they'll reinvent Unix and
> claim credit for doing so.

a bit late for that, Linus and the Linux crowd have been crowing about this for the last decade. They're nearly there now :)

> <RANT>
> Bad apps and bad drivers when Microsoft intentionally conceals the APIs
> they use? Why is that anyone else's fault.

they don't however conceal the APIs that vendor's are supposed to use. Unless you are arguing that all of the HPUX and Solaris internal code is published legally somewhere?

The EU certainly seems to
> agree.

You mean the free trade area, or the collection of sovereign nations that are experimenting with sharing sovereign powers? And which of these   is the qualified judge of software design?

Windows is a bloated bag of garbage that provides essentially
> no functionality that wasn't invented elsewhere and implemented first
> in another os
> </RANT>

where was the registry first invented then? why don't those poor hardware vendors who don't know how to use the driver sdk re-use their experience from the other os then?

Now I know a rant doesn't have to make sense, but one that sounds like a pissed off teenager discovering the real world could probably be improved upon.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA