Re: Oracle on Windows

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 10 Aug 2006 08:23:09 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Preston wrote:
>
> > Here's a suggestion - why don't you try reading the manuals for a
> > change? I suggest you start with the 2-Day DBA guide, where it says
> > very plainly that all related Windows services will be deleted when
> > you delete a database using the DBCA
>
> Perhaps because from actual hands-on experience with Oracle on Windows
> he knows that information is not correct.

He knows wrong then - that information is correct. But you're implying the information in the Oracle manuals can't be relied on. In which case the people who delight in responding to posts with their beloved "rtfm" are being even less helpful than appears on the surface.

FWIW I've got no problem with directing people to the documentation - it's just the tone used by people like Sybrand that pisses me off. It's completely unnecessary, & when combined with the inevitable put-down that always seems to accompany it, achieves nothing other than alienating people.

It wouldn't even be excusable if he was always right, but as he frequently states things as fact that are simply wrong, it just becomes laughable.

Your constant replying to spam is also very irksome, but I'm sure most people can live with that given your obvious knowledge, & frequent enlightening posts. If people could answer posts when they can provide something useful, & keep quiet when they don't, CDOS would be a far, far nicer place. Unfortunately it's currently like approaching a house with a 'welcome mat' that says 'GO F**K YOURSELF'.

--
Preston.