Re: Oracle on Windows

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:46:00 -0700

Preston wrote:

>>> Here's a suggestion - why don't you try reading the manuals for a
>>> change? I suggest you start with the 2-Day DBA guide, where it says
>>> very plainly that all related Windows services will be deleted when
>>> you delete a database using the DBCA

>> Perhaps because from actual hands-on experience with Oracle on Windows
>> he knows that information is not correct.
>
> He knows wrong then - that information is correct.

Not from my experience. There are more than a handful of times I've used DBCA to uninstall Oracle on Windows ... and then had to manually clean up the remaining mess.

 > But you're implying
> the information in the Oracle manuals can't be relied on.

Implying? Nonsense! I'm stating it to be a fact. I also don't rely on books pubished by Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, or anyone else. Heck I don't even trust things I've written a day later.

Which does not mean to suggest that they are not valuable resources that are correct 99% of the time. But rather to state that one should always verify on their system, with their hardware, os, version, etc. it is correct.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington