Re: configure service name in RAC

From: Andreas Piesk <a.piesk_at_gmx.net>
Date: 9 Aug 2006 12:00:13 -0700

CS wrote:
> Subsequent new connections will always connect to inst3. My
> understanding is if the preferred instance, inst1 is made available
> again, subsequent new sessions should automatically get connected to
> the preferred instance. Is that correct? How can I configure the
> service name to do that?

you can't because that's the way crs works.

> Also, I'm not sure why during a failover, all sessions were re-routed
> to only inst3. I expected the failed over sessions to get distributed
> between inst3 and inst2 since I have those two instances in my
> available list of instances and listener load balancing was also turned
> on.

the number of preferred instances detemines the number of always available instances. if you have specified one preferred instance and this instance fails, CRS will bring exactly one instance online to replace this one instance.
it's all described in the "CRS and RAC Admin and Deploy Guide", cp. 5 or 6 (workload management).

regards,
-ap Received on Wed Aug 09 2006 - 14:00:13 CDT