configure service name in RAC

From: CS <chrisseon_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2006 10:57:50 -0700

Hi,
I have created a service name, appserv in my 3-node RAC environment.

$> srvctl status service -d dbrac -s appserv
appserv PREF: inst1 AVAIL: inst3 inst2

When inst1 crashed, all sessions were re-routed to inst3. However, when inst1 was restarted, the appserv service was not added back in inst1 (did not appear in "show parameter service_names").

Subsequent new connections will always connect to inst3. My understanding is if the preferred instance, inst1 is made available again, subsequent new sessions should automatically get connected to the preferred instance. Is that correct? How can I configure the service name to do that?

Also, I'm not sure why during a failover, all sessions were re-routed to only inst3. I expected the failed over sessions to get distributed between inst3 and inst2 since I have those two instances in my available list of instances and listener load balancing was also turned on.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks.

chris Received on Wed Aug 09 2006 - 12:57:50 CDT