Re: Oracle RAC newbie

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2006 15:22:22 -0700

Andreas Piesk wrote:
> Erik Dahle wrote:
> > Can anyone actually give a good reason for why one shouldn't use a
> > crossover cable for the interconnect in a 2-node setup?
> > Except the support issue of course.
>
> some unixes completely drop the network interface if the link goes down
> which could confuse the cluster manager. it's explained in RAC FAQ on
> metalink.
> RAC on linux works with crossover, but as you said, it's unsupported.
>
> regards,
> -ap

Right, and when I used a crossover cable with RAC (which worked fine), it was on a 2-node Windows 2003 Server RAC configuration.... I know, don't laugh...

Along with email and scheduling, it was the most productive thing I've ever seen a set of Windows boxes do, though I'd have gotten more enjoyment setting it up under HP-UX or Linux...

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Tue Aug 08 2006 - 17:22:22 CDT