Re: Oracle RAC newbie

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2006 15:18:01 -0700

Erik Dahle wrote:
> Chuck Whealton wrote:
> > Soalvajav, in addition to what Dan said, by nature of single
> > database/multiple instances, this implies shared storage. You'll also
> > need a high speed interconnect and remember - Oracle does NOT support
> > crossover cables for this, even though you can probably make them work.
> > Don't use them (crossovers) for production. You'll want the
> > interconnect to be operating at a minimum of 1Gb/Sec.
>
> Can anyone actually give a good reason for why one shouldn't use a
> crossover cable for the interconnect in a 2-node setup?
> Except the support issue of course.
>
> Erik

Erik: I actually used a crossover cable BEFORE going into production, just to get it setup and it worked fine. I BELIEVE I remember reading something about "electrical issues" as Oracle's reason for NOT supporting crossover cables, but by all means, if I'm mistaken somebody please correct me.

Didn't have a problem with crossovers, including on reboots where I think the real issues were.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Tue Aug 08 2006 - 17:18:01 CDT