Re: Oracle RAC newbie

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:28:36 GMT

Brian Peasland wrote:

>> It's usually a good practice to ask for references and check them. Oracle
>> sales person will probably be able to compile the list of similar
>> configuration in your general area. If he can't - don't buy, you
>> definitely do not want to be one and only owner of that unique
>> configuration within a 100 miles radius.

> Why within a 100 miles radius? In today's Internet-connected world, I
> communicate with many DBA's all around the globe, even in this forum! I
> do not need to be physically colocated with the person I am exchanging
> knowledge with.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Brian, support is the problem here. If you are the only one within a wide area, the company that sold you the disk array will likely not have a support person close by, so you will have to contact Elbonia for tech support. Also, Oracle will not have anybody particularly well versed in your neighborhood, so in case you need it, you will have to wait for somebody to be flown into your area. This world is a global village, but the local user groups are still there for a reason. That reason is usually not marketing perpetrated by the Oracle Corp. and its affiliates during annual events. Those local luser groups are organized for mutual support purposes. Oracle usually tries to use luser attitude readjustment tools on them.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com