Re: Missing listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file

From: Akimeu <Nospam_at_Email.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:50:30 -0700

aprinsloo_at_sagetelecom.net wrote:
> We recently installed Oracle 9i on Redhat and have discovered that
> there is no listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file in the usual location:
> /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/network/admin
>
> The server has been running fine and we have performed imp's and exp's
> without any issues, clients have also been connecting without issue.
>
> We discovered the files were missing when attempting to run sqlplus on
> the server, it gave an:
> ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME........ ,
>
> and upon investigation discovered the missing files.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
> Thx

When the system is installed by default, those files don't necessarily get created. You actually don't need the listener.ora file on the system, unless you're listening on a different port than 1521. tnsnames, would only help you if you make outgoing sqlplus/em connections to other servers.... Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 14:50:30 CDT