Re: tuning advisor ... again

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:55:31 -0700

Akimeu wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> As mentioned in one of my previous posts, we do not have the Enterprise
> Manager installed on our systems. So, I ran the addmreport, and then
> the sql in sqlplus to see the recommended changes. However, there are
> quite a few recommendations that state:
>
> Run SQL Tuning Advisor on the SQL Statement with SQL_ID "blahblah123".
>
> How can I accomplish this throught sqlplus without the EM??? If need
> be, I can install EM on another machine... but, at the same time, I will
> have to exp the database, etc... over as well. Would like to avoid that
> if AT ALL possible. Thanks for your insight.
>
> Regards,
> Al

Take a look at DBMS_XPLAN.DISPLAY_CURSOR. Feed it the sql_id and you can get the explain plan. A similar capability exists within DBMS_ADVISOR. You can find working demos of both in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.

Just be advised that you MUST pay Oracle the license fee to use the advisor capabilities.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington