Re: ORA-1654 , Oracle asking for very large extent

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2006 13:23:26 -0700

Radoulov, Dimitre wrote:
> [...]
> > Something seems amiss...There is 7GB of free space in the tablespace. The
> > max extent allocated with AUTOALLOCATE is 8MB.
> [...]
>
> See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ch_08.html
> Autoallocated Tablespaces

I glanced briefly at that, so I might have missed something, but Jonathan has also stated that xMB extents must start on an xMB boundary in the file. It's rare, but can be demonstrated and could happen if the app fragments the TS in a certain way. See http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:5549302357655 (search for the word Rationale).

If you have an app that demonstrates this, you should definitely go for uniform allocation.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=18&entry_id=7567