Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: <boogab00_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2006 12:10:39 -0700

racman wrote:
> I need to give a presentation on the benefits of AIX vs Solaris.
> Can everyone share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I`m not looking
> to dismiss either platform, I think they both work very well with
> specific databases,
> storage and apps. Thoughts please!
>
> Thanks

Depends on your needs. AIX is much more stable but more expensive. We bought 9 Sun 6800's a few years back and Sun had to replace EVERY system board. The glue used to glue the cpu's onto the board was defective which caused us many, many outages. Sun was very slow to respond to the problem before admitting to the problem. If Oracle wasn't so darn expensive, I would recommend a RAC setup on commodity hardware. Received on Thu Jul 20 2006 - 14:10:39 CDT