Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: Andreas Piesk <a.piesk_at_gmx.net>
Date: 20 Jul 2006 14:20:48 -0700

racman wrote:
> I need to give a presentation on the benefits of AIX vs Solaris.
> Can everyone share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I`m not looking
> to dismiss either platform, I think they both work very well with
> specific databases,
> storage and apps. Thoughts please!

Oracle on AIX has it's quirks (PVID and ASM, LARGE_PAGE, cLVM and RAC, etc) but it works reasonable well.
Solaris has a big advantage: it's Oracles 64bit development platform. therefore bug reporting/fixing is a lot easier with Solaris. some time ago i waited more than 3 weeks to get a bug approved because Oracle had no AIX 5.3+latest installation available.

regards,
-ap Received on Thu Jul 20 2006 - 16:20:48 CDT