Re: The cheapest hardware for real RAC

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:53:46 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> I just received a NetApp F720 that I hope to convert into block devices
>> and then manage with ASM for creating both an ASM and RAC with ASM class.
>>
>> If this is successful I will publish a White Paper cookbook as old
>> NetApps, like the F720, are available at very low cost.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

> Thanks, I look forward to it. Out of curiosity, are you thinking of
> something similar to the following (dated links follow)?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/NetApp-F720-Server-w-2-StorageShelf-Disk-Arrays_W0QQitemZ120006493059QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1484QQss
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-9GB-Wide-Ultra-SCSI-3-Hard-Drive-313706-B21_W0QQitemZ5159825753QQihZ005QQ
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Exactly. One other variation I am working on relates to this hardware if I can get my hands on it.

http://www.agere.com/entnet/GigEasy.html

Use the ethernet port on the laptop for public. Use two of these ... one for the memory interconnect ... the other to get fast access to storage ... and with any luck ... laptop RAC.

I'll publish this too if I get it working.

I will be in Minneapolis for the TCOUG conference next week as I am also teaching Oracle Packages, Grid Control, and Disaster Preparedness (RMAN, event triggers, flashback) courses there. Then I'll get to work on these matters and we'll see what happens.