Re: The cheapest hardware for real RAC

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:15:18 -0500

On 2006-07-11, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> If you want to do it on the REALLY cheap then build a JBOD and install
>>> ASM. You might want to look at the ASM White Paper at
>>> http://www.psoug.org/downloads.html.
>>
>> The JBOD still has to be robust enough to survive component failures.
>> That's going to impose OS level system requirements to support as well as
>> redundancy in the storage hardware from your HBA to the disk.
>
> True but irrelevant for someone wishing to build a "real" RAC system
> on which to gain experience and not for production.

        It all depends on whether or not he intends to be self-sufficient or expects to have a gaggle of sysadmins to bail him out anytime he has a system level problem. Many of the small shops deploying RAC these days don't have any sort of guru: systems, storage or network. Even some of the larger shops contemplating RAC these days don't have systems expertise already.

--
	Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their    |||
choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider.  / | \