DATAGUARD: Primary 2 NODE RAC: Standby Single node Single instance

From: wannabe DBA <nasser.ali_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2006 12:57:08 -0700

Configured the init.ora, created a single node single instance from a Primary RAC. All seemed to work.

can ship logs over, recover them, apply them and then query the database. It all looked so beautiful.

Then we tried a switchover:

Primary RAC becomes Standby and standby became Primary.

All good so far. We even gotten as far as shipping over logs...so all looked good!

Then we tried on the new standby (old primary RAC):

Alter database recover managed standby Database disconnect;

obviously we wanted to see if our data was being applied on the new standby:

hence on the new primary (old standby):

SQL> create table testthiscarbuncle (id number, name varchar (20));
SQL>insert into testthiscarbuncle values (5,'tester');
SQL> Commit;

all good worked

SQL> alter system archive log current;

Which successfully ships the logs to the standby RAC.

Remember the RAC standby is in recovery mode. the database is as good as empty no transactional data.

Then on the standby:

SQL>alter database recover managed standby database finish;
SQL>alter database open read only;
SQL>select * from testthiscarbuncle;

table does not exist!

It seems the logs are not being applied. Can someone give me some pointers as to where i should look to diagnose this issue!!!? Received on Thu Jul 06 2006 - 14:57:08 CDT