Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:09:17 GMT

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:1152137335.776307.46450_at_b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

>> > No, but some people think what books you have available in your
>> > workspace and that show use are a reasonable indicator of what level of
>> > work you do. I don't quite agree with that, since some people might
>> > have their books at home or on electronic media or have an eidetic
>> > memory or whatever. But a statement that everything you need is in the
>> > manual - at best that means your work is limited, at worst you may be
>> > myth-mongering.
>>
>> Where was the statement made?
>
> The exact comment was: "So can I learn from the manuals. They are more
> than sufficient for my job. "
>
> Well, I guess I owe an apology, "more than sufficient" is indeed
> different than "everything you need." I guess.

My point was that manuals were sufficient for my job and there was no need to spend money at the bookstores. That does not mean I don't need websites, technical skills, and experiments. If "everything you need" meant the same thing, your earlier assumption about my work was at best an uneducated guess.

>> > Personally, I do have shelves of Oracle books. Some are crap. I tend
>> > not to recommend those. Most are used infrequently, a few have little
>> > nuggets that make them worth having gone through once. The ones
>> > recommended in this thread are worth their weight in careers.
>> >

>> Even crap would weigh something in careers.

>> > Well, this thread started about performance and what developers can do
>> > right. Simply following the instructions in the manuals may lead to
>> > problems - for example, where in the manuals does it explain possible
>> > performance issues with committing in a loop? How about the optimal
>> > way to perform DDL in a trigger? Where is X$KSQST explained? All
>> > developers are going to have superstitions and misconceptions about the
>> > best ways to do things with Oracle. Jeez, someone could write a whole
>> > book about these kinds of things. Maybe even more than one. The best
>> > ones demonstrate how even the most experienced developers need to
>> > question and test their assumptions.
>> >

>> It sounds like your expectations of the manuals are far higher than the
>> books. I hope your dream of books covering every tiny details will some
>> day
>> come true.
>
> By the way, I don't have anything against cookbooks or OEM style tools

You shouldn't.

> - as long as they aren't the be-all and end-all

Nothing can be.

> and their limitations are clearly established.

They are printed in black and white. Received on Wed Jul 05 2006 - 20:09:17 CDT