Re: Characters losts during Import (8.1.6) -> (9.2.0.6)

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2006 05:31:45 -0700

Cris Carampa wrote:
> Markku Uttula wrote:
> >
> > On a sidenote; I don't know how you've managed to get french characters
> > into your 8.1.6. database if you really have it configured to using
> > US7ASCII.
>
> It is possible, but once you managed to do that I think the only way to
> move data in another database with a different charset is to dump data
> on a text file and load it with SQL*Loader. AFAIK there's no way with
> exp/imp.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Cris Carampa (spamto:cris119_at_operamail.com)
>
> I went to the market to realise my soul
> 'Cause what I need I just don't have

You must be kidding.
It all depends on
- correct NLS_LANG during export (ie matching the characterset of the database)
- correct NLS_LANG during import (ie matching the characterset of the database)

The problem with the OP is probably that he had US7ASCII at the client side and at the database side, so no conversion.

Just FYI: sql*loader depends on NLS_LANG too!!!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA