Re: Partition elimination.....

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:47:35 -0400

oracle_man wrote:
> All,
>
> I have two large (100 Million+ rows) tables. I need to join them in
> the most efficient manner possible. I'm trying partitioning. Here is
> a describe of the table, and a query I need to tune. The query is
> still taking forever to complete. Both tables are HASH partitioned on
> RECORDINSERTDT. If anyone can suggest the best join method, and or a
> better partition method, I would appreciate it.
Range queries don't go with hash partitioning on the same column. To achieve partitioning elimination I'd range partition on RECORDUPDATEDT and I would initialize RECORDUPDATEDT with RECORDINSERTDT so you can throw out the OR on RECORDINSERTDT. Now, this assumes that record updates are not the common case since they will make your updates more costly.

Just my two cents
Serge

--
Serge Rielau