Re: HELP - Ideas for Oracle / MS Sql Interface.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 05:05:08 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 07:45:41 -0700, Johne_uk wrote:

> Oracle 9i installation on Solaris 9. Various standalone tables are
> populated with data via an application (periodically).
>
> The data in these tables needs to be copied to identical tables on a MS
> Sql Server DB running on Windows and accessed via a VPN. The data will
> only ever flow from Oracle to SQL.
>
> The tables are identical on both sides (compatible filetypes) and the
> update process will be carried out every 30 minutes (realtime not
> required).
>
> I need to develop an interface that will copy the data from Oracle to
> MS Sql. The interface will be located on the Oracle unix server.
> Ideally, I would want to use shell scripts etc. to write the interface.

JDBC and PHP5 would be good tools for the job. Both API's support both Oracle and ODBC interfaces which can be used to connect to MS SQL. You could also try with Perl DBI, but it doesn't support Oracle array interface, so the whole thing would probably kill your VPN, if the data quantity is significant.

--
http://www.mgogala.com