Re: RAC on RAW Devices and DATAGUARD

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 30 Jun 2006 01:37:46 -0700

wannabe DBA wrote:
> We are going to create partitions on the standby storage exactly as we
> have on the primary RAC. Does anyone know how we copy the, contolfiles,
> datafiles (RAW DEVICES) from the primary to the physical standby?
> currently thoughts are to create an extra standby partition on primary
> storage for the standby controlfile (instead of on the local server)
> and then copy all the reqd devices to the standby storage using DD
> command...which is how we're proceeding...my fear is that this is
> completely the wrong approach?
>
> Has anyone else done this ? i need a step by step guide in how to do
> this!

This is not "a completely wrong approach", it is possible to do it this way, but you can easily make some mistake. Why you do not want to use RMAN which can do this for you and take care of everything that has to be done? Make backup, create standby controlfile, do restore on your backup location and you're exactly where you have to be to make standby work.

--
Dusan Bolek