RAC on RAW Devices and DATAGUARD

From: wannabe DBA <nasser.ali_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 19:34:27 -0700

We have setup a 2 node Oracle RAC on Sun Cluster 3.1 on Solaris 9.

Storage is RAW DEVICES. RAID 5 Configuration.

The partitions have been created for datafiles, undo, indx, temp etc. RAC works and failover is working too.

No problems.

Next step is to setup a Standby Single Instance on single node, with similar storage. We want to create a physical standby.

According to all the docs. we need to create a copy of the controlfiles, datafiles plus a copy of the init.ora from the primary for the standby.

My dilemma or issues is as follows:

We are going to create partitions on the standby storage exactly as we have on the primary RAC. Does anyone know how we copy the, contolfiles, datafiles (RAW DEVICES) from the primary to the physical standby? currently thoughts are to create an extra standby partition on primary storage for the standby controlfile (instead of on the local server) and then copy all the reqd devices to the standby storage using DD command...which is how we're proceeding...my fear is that this is completely the wrong approach?

Has anyone else done this ? i need a step by step guide in how to do this!

Any help is appreciated...im a very junior DBA (albeit with 10 years worth of applications experience and technical experience...must be mad for trying out this DBA art!)

Regards! Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 21:34:27 CDT