Re: mod_plsql / dad / character set problem

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:26:09 +0100

In article <gapo92tff8tdeoq2u1t5samp1ccao40nk3_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker says...
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:22:49 +0100, Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So we feel as though we are caught between a rock and a hard place -
> >cananyone suggest a setting taht might support all our needs (sure I
> >haven't defined ALL out needs! - of course I mean something that
> >supports western european accented characters as well as the Euro
> >symbol)?
>
> I guess you need to convert completely to utf8. Java is utf8 anyway,
> and there are two charactersets supporting the euro,one for the
> Windows world, and one outside the Evil Empire, WE8MSWIN1252 and
> WE8ISO8859P15 respectively. You never make sure, everyone has set his
> characterset correctly.

Hi Sybrand, just having trouble understanding this. If UTF8 doesn't support the Euro character then what benefit will converting completely to UTF8 provide? ANd what do you mean by "completely"? Our app is able to store & retrieve the Euro and other "special" characters if they can be delivered intact - it seems that the setting of the characterset in the DAD is the critical part here.

--

jeremy