Re: mod_plsql / dad / character set problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:24:03 +0200

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:26:09 +0100, Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <gapo92tff8tdeoq2u1t5samp1ccao40nk3_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker
>says...
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:22:49 +0100, Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >So we feel as though we are caught between a rock and a hard place -
>> >cananyone suggest a setting taht might support all our needs (sure I
>> >haven't defined ALL out needs! - of course I mean something that
>> >supports western european accented characters as well as the Euro
>> >symbol)?
>>
>> I guess you need to convert completely to utf8. Java is utf8 anyway,
>> and there are two charactersets supporting the euro,one for the
>> Windows world, and one outside the Evil Empire, WE8MSWIN1252 and
>> WE8ISO8859P15 respectively. You never make sure, everyone has set his
>> characterset correctly.
>
>Hi Sybrand, just having trouble understanding this. If UTF8 doesn't
>support the Euro character then what benefit will converting completely
>to UTF8 provide? ANd what do you mean by "completely"? Our app is able
>to store & retrieve the Euro and other "special" characters if they can
>be delivered intact - it seems that the setting of the characterset in
>the DAD is the critical part here.

I assume (but I admit I didn't verify it) utf8 supports the euro. On the other hand, WE8ISO8859P15 can not be converted to WE8MSWIN1252 and vice versa, so what I was trying to say: if you convert your database to an utf characterset, allegedly a superset of normal 8-bit charactersets, any 8-bit client should convert correctly.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA