Re: RAC and DataWarehouse

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:01:35 -0700

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> If your admins don't already grok SAN and clustering, that
> will be an extra hurdle that RAC brings to the table.

Do you have actual hands-on experience with RAC? One need know nothing about SANs to create a RAC cluster. NFS mount a NetApp and carve out some LUNs. Nothing to it. A SAN is one choice out of many. Others include RAW, ASM, and OCFS.

> Linux in general tends to encourage management to cut
> corners where they really have no business doing so. This "Linux
> is cheaper" mantra really is quite problematic.

This may well be true but that has not been my experience. Large corporations in the Seattle area implementing Linux have not cut corners: Just saved money.

> Got a local OUG? Go there and seek out people doing
> RAC deployments and get their input.

The Puget Sound Oracle Users Group (www.psoug.org) has a hands-on training lab where we typically build 4-6 RAC clusters each month. We are hoping to have a JBOD soon and be able to add ASM capability to the lab. Anyone interested in RAC is welcome to use us as a resource.

Historical Note:
PSOUG was the first organization to build a RAC cluster using Apple hardware with the OS X operating system. And when I say first that means before Oracle or Apple.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington