Re: Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 02:16:16 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:54:10 +0300, Heikki Siltala wrote:

>> With proper quantity of NVRAM on your disk
>> array, you will start seeing bottleneck of the architecture around 1200
>> I/O requests per second.

> We have managed to get 3987 IOPS out of our system (long Orion run, 8 kb
> random IOs, 100% reads, card caches set to 50/50 and 128 kb stripe size).

It may be a better motherboard (my experience comes from the 32 bit platform). It also may be an I2O adapter, which would speed up things incredibly or it may be a better disk farm. It's your choice. You asked, I replied: ASM is not for me, unless I am building a cheap RAC. Normal file system like Ext3 looks more appealing. I am a DBA, conservative by nature. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

--
http://www.mgogala.com