Re: How to See oracle database without gui

From: <debuzna_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2006 12:48:31 -0700

In addition to the other good suggestions here, if you're on Unix you may also want to locate what's called an "oratab" file. In theory (and even sometimes in practice) this fie contains a list of all Oracle databases installed on a particular machine. O'Reilly has a script that you can look at (or run) to determine the typical locations for the oratab file:

http://examples.oreilly.de/english_examples/oraclescrp/CDROM/DBA/LOCATION

FYI, it is possible that one or more databases have been deleted from a machine but still have an oratab entry and multiple oratab entries may exist on a single machine.

-joe