Re: modify hostname of server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:52:42 +0200

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:00:02 -0400, Peter <gzmbk1_at_msn.com> wrote:

>newbie question
>
>Is it possible to modify the hostname and ip of the server (linux rhe4)
>and not have to re-install Oracle 10g db software from scratch.
>
>i've modified the hostname and was given a different ip address. Then
>modified the listener.ora, hostname.ora. Now I can't restart the db
>get the ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: share memory realm does not exist
> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory.
>
>when i view EM, still points to the old host.
>
>can anyone point me to the right direction?
>
>thanks much
>Peter

changing the hostname and/or the ip address shouldn't be a problem, provided
- your /etc/hosts is correctly set up translating the hostname to the ip
- you didn't use the hardcoded ip anywhere

Special case here probably is the 10g Grid Control. It does store the hostname and/or the IP 'somewhere'

However, not being able to start up has probably nothing to do with the change of hostname and/or IP as that is a completely server based activity.

Go to a shell prompt
set your ORACLE_SID environment correctly set your ORACLE_HOME correctly
(or use oraenv)
now isssue
sqlplus '/ as sysdba' <return>
startup<return>

this should work.
If this doesn't work you will have to dig in the alert log to check out what is going on.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA