Re: optimizer_features_enable parameter & query plan

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:22:35 GMT

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Some questions for you:
>
> Did you read the section of the migration gude that covers this? [No |
> Yes | What fine manual? ]
> Did you gather statistics after the upgrade? [No | Yes | dbms_scheduler
> did it for me]
> Did you change the method_opt via which stats were gathered? [No | Yes
> | Huh?]
> Did you enable cpu costing? [No | Yes | Huh?]
>
> -bdbafh

Also, what does the statistics for the index LOTC_ETAB_HISC_SX2_IDX2 look like? In particular, what is the number of used, non-header blocks in the LOTC_ETAB_HISC_SX2 table, what is the number of rows, do you have histograms on the indexed columns used in your query? On my web page, you can learn about quick & dirty way of making CBO behave like RBO but, as the grandmaster of the CBO has pointed out, there are queries in which the wrong indexes get used and which will cause you infinite amounts of grief and pain.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com