QUESTION - "Rulebook" for character delimiting...??

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 11:14:03 -0700

Hey, all.

I'm on AIX 5.2. Oracle 8.1.7.4

I'm trying to create a shell script that generates an RMAN recovery script. I'm trying to retrieve data from dba_datafiles, v$logfile, etc, and generate a script for rman that includes, for example, the set newname commands.

So, for example, in my sqlplus script, I include:

select 'set newname for datafile '||file_id||' to '''||file_name||''';'from dba_data_files order by file_id;

that bit works. It spits out a bunch of 'set newname' commands, which get stuck in a 'run' statement that I'm generating.

But I also want to include some 'sql "<insert sql statement here>"' commands, which requires that the double-quotes are generated as part the output.

I'm becoming frustrated because I haven't internalized all the rules for how to delimit characters.

Is there a document somewhere that outlines the rules? At this point, I'm just kind of thrashing. ;-))

Thanks,

BD Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 13:14:03 CDT