Bizarre index creation - something wrong?

From: Paulie <plinehan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 00:27:14 -0700

Hi all,

I've just started a new job working with COBOL and a legacy application that is used by some very (very) large companies. There is a tool that we use here to create new tables and I just saw it working for the first time. It created the tables find and then produced an index script - see below.

--------index script-----------------

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX XX20301IX0
ON ABC203
(DSTRCT_CODE,

SUPPLIER_NO)
TABLESPACE M3043_3SW_IDXMSF
PCTFREE 10
STORAGE (INITIAL 40K NEXT 40K
PCTINCREASE 0 MAXEXTENTS 500)
;

COMMIT;
ALTER TABLE ABC203
ADD PRIMARY KEY
(DSTRCT_CODE,

SUPPLIER_NO);
COMMIT;

Now, my question is - Are these indexes not one and the same thing - I thought Oracle by default created an index on a primary key anyway (logically enough)? Any thoughts
or comments appreciated.

Paul... Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 02:27:14 CDT